Sunday, May 29, 2011

Missions Part TEN!

This entry of photos is from one of the most remote parts of the country, and boy was it hard to get to!  Post-trip, I read that it is considered the most beautiful part of the country, and also read the advice that you should never attempt these roads at night - always by day - because of the treacherous cliffs and poorly maintained roads.  Boy, do I agree with THAT!

The road is also famous for its switchbacks through the mountains.  I knew going into it I might have a little problem, and yes, I did.  However, there were quite a number on the bus that joined the ranks of slightly-green-of-face.
These two pics were taken by someone else on our team; I wasn't in the picture taking mood.


I was just at the point where I wanted to say, 'PLEASE, PLEASE stop this bus and let us out,' when the driver DID stop!  Believe me, I wasn't the only one that was really, REALLY glad to get some fresh air.  We had reached the highest point in the mountains and there was a lookout tower and a few other things.  Here's yours truly looking VERY relieved!


We tried out the broom.  They're very ingenious - it was made from palm fronds.

We used the facilities... let it be known that this, uh, toilet is about 36 inches above the floor - far above anybody's knees.  And the, uh, hole is quite a ways back, definitely not designed by an engineer.  Let's just say it was an interesting stop for all the ladies.

Here's a bunch of us coming down from the lookout point.

Franko, looking pleased.  Like all of us, we were just pleased to be OFF the bus!  He was one of my sick-together friends.  I actually gave him my camera to take pics on the bus because I didn't feel good.  He took pictures for about 20 minutes before he set it down and didn't look so hot himself.  Yes, I can honestly say that I HAVE seen a green person now!

Marlon and me.  Hooray!  We made it!  Well, to the highest point, at least.  We still had a ways to go down the road.  Turned out to be a seven or eight hour drive through those mountains.  By the way, the mountain behind us is quite a ways off.  You can see our bus or maybe a building down in the valley behind Marlon, and then you have to drive down the road to get near it.

Looking down at da bus from the path that climbed the heights.

One of our leaders and pastors.  In the next installment, I'll show you that we did finally come out of the mountains and reach our destination.  It was all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment