Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mr. Einstein

A couple posts ago I showed you my very artistic purse.  Now I'm going to show you what's in it.  I always carry a small sketchpad; usually about 4x6".  Any time I have to wait somewhere, I whip it out and do a quick sketch.

A couple days ago I found myself in a doctor's waiting room.  They had a great book on you know who.  So... here he is!






































I'm not one that likes to spend a great deal of time on things as I will get bored before I finish, so this one was done quickly, and I skipped the pencil/erase thing altogether.  I sketched him in with a fine point pen, fairly slowly as I couldn't erase.  Laying out his face took the lion's share of time, probably 15 or 20 minutes of concentration.  After that, going in with the shades of grey was just light, fun stuff.

I love this care-worn, old face!  At this wonderful age at which I find myself, I have decided it's much more enjoyable to do old, wrinkly people.  They've got  so much more character and story about them.  Never fail, when I assign my students to draw ugly people and beautiful people, they almost always admit to enjoying the old fogies better.  Last year one of my students even did a toothless, silly-grin old codger that turned out to be everyone's favorite.   Kinda makes ya happy, huh?

Guess I better start doing more self portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment