Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Oil Paintsticks


 I got a new toy - new art supplies!  Paintsticks.  Oil Paintsticks.  I've never used them before, and I admit, they sat for a long time because I didn't know what to do with them.  I finally decided it was time to dig them out and figure them out.

Here's my first picture.  Okay, let's get this out right away - I know there are all kinds of proportions issues going on here.  It's not very good, and that's okay with me because I was playing - practicing, to see what these oilsticks would do!

What I found was that they are a PLEASURE to use!  I tried them on YUPO, which has absolutely no tooth, so wouldn't hold the layers, but nonetheless, I liked them.  They're buttery and rich - smooth and heavily pigmented.  You can wipe out entire areas if you mess up and start again, and you can scratch out designs for texture and highlighting.  The gleams in his eyes were simply where I lifted paint by scraping with my fingernails.
I originally purchased them because I understand that you can use them on cloth, and I'm hoping to do a     cloth painting project with my high schoolers.

As for myself, I think the next time I use them I'm going to try them on something with a nice tooth.  My next step will probably be a heavy pastel paper.  After that, maybe a nice canvas board or some framed canvas.  I'll give you my report!  In the meantime, if you've used them, give me YOUR report! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment