Monday, January 8, 2018

Ahoy, Mateys!

I’m working for Porter High School, painting sets for their upcoming show, Peter Pan.  Here I am with their pirate ship, almost done.  I need to add just a few finishing touches to it.

Generally for theater I paint the sets in layers.  Without the layers, the sets are going to look flat and boring, pieced together like they actually are!  I like the first layer to be a medium lightness, so I can add both darks and lights for interest and depth.  With this particular piece, I and my young assistant Hannah (thank YOU, Hannah!) first ragged the black on over the light brown to give the illusion of wood.  After that, splatters of black, yellow and red. 

Hannah did the work on the wheel and the roof (because I, dear reader, am afraid of heights.)  Before we began, the handles on the wheel were black and the wood needed some aging.  We liked the yellow handles; now they pop and will be seen by the audience.  I'm toying with the idea of giving those yellow handles little red caps.  That will bring together the reds and help unify everything.  What... you haven't seen a pirate ship like that?  Well, wait until you see the Peter Pan costumes!

This is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment