Friday, July 27, 2018

Self-Portrait through Books, Part SIX the Last!

One more time, this is the sixth installment of my self portrait, find my earlier five posts all created in this month, July of 2018.  I’ve saved two books for the last.  Here’s the picture one more time!

Okay, I have been working my way from top to bottom and have worked my way to the last two titles, which are hanging around in the middle.  The white one, Chinese Calligraphy first.

I remember years ago going to the bookstore all excited that I had decided to learn Chinese.  I just happened to meet a Chinese friend there and told him of my plans.  He laughed at me and said, “Have fun with that, even the Chinese don’t knowChinese!”  Not letting him dampen my spirits, I purchased this book and have been glad for years that I did.  

Have I learned Chinese?  Well, technically, no.  BUT, I have learned a lot about the development of the Chinese language from pictograms to characters and have an understanding of how they have changed.  I can look at many characters and see the root of the word and why the characters are written the way they are.  I can read VERY FEW words, but can identify the language from other oriental languages and appreciate the rich heritage. The way they write their characters is a very high art in itself and it has enriched my life studying and learning the character formation and give me a deep appreciation for those masters.  What a beautiful language.

All this to give a nod to my Chinese friend, and a wink admitting he was right.  Oh, but I am glad I tried!

I saved my Bible for the last, because it is ever so much the most important one of all!!!  I’ve been using a bilingual Bible because of my constant love of learning and languages.  It’s also been fascinating because many times the Spanish is more clear in its interpretation than the English, and many times I’ve found that the words chosen in Spanish have more impact for me, and sometimes enhance the passage even more.

But the reason I saved this for last is because this is the ONE BOOK that has changed my life. It tells the story of man’s fall, the mess we’ve made of ourselves, and the fact that we are all sinners.  It tells the story of God coming to earth to become a man, Jesus, to purposefully die that our sins can be forgiven.  It tells the story of how we, as sinful people, can reach out to Jesus for forgiveness and ask him in to our lives.  It tells the story of beauty and redemption and the full, rich life possible for each one of us. 

It tells the story of my life, a mess, turned around by Jesus.  I have hope.  I have a future.  I have freedom.  I have no fear.  That is a lot to say in this dark world! The reason I put this book in the center is because it holds everything else up.  There would be nothing else for me or for anyone without the God of this book.  Thank you, Jesus, for changing MY life and filling me with hope and beauty!!


No comments:

Post a Comment