Saturday, February 23, 2013

Step 1, An Artist's Process for a Large Painting

I'm going to take you through the steps that I go through to paint a large painting.  This particular painting they wanted to be six feet by nine feet, and not on canvas. 

My first steps took about a day and included purchasing and cutting the wood panels, choosing the sealant, gesso and some of the paint.

Job #1 - sanding.  Got out my biking glasses because the stuff was flying everywhere and I was feeling kind of gritty.  The electric sander also allowed me to bevel the edges just a bit so they're nicely rounded instead of that sharp 90 degree angle.




Another sanding picture - done!  Then a wash down with a damp rag to remove all the wood dust.  Time for a break!




















































No comments:

Post a Comment