Saturday, March 2, 2019

Artists Naming Works of Art

This is my lion painting.  I named him King for obvious reasons, which comes to another point; why do artists give such stupid names to their works of art? Why, if you painted a lady sewing, for instance, would you name the piece ‘Woman Sewing?’ (Renoir). Or... following the thought here, ‘Girl with a Watering Can?’ Renoir again.  Renoir, I feel you.


Would you like to know the secret of artists through history, myself included?  We really just want to paint.  We want to paint beautiful things and have people BUY them, so we can paint MORE beautiful things!  Once the painting is finished, we don’t CARE what the painting’s name is!  As for me, I just want to make it, finish it, love it, and then do it again with another piece. The naming thing is distracting from the first desire, to create. 


All this being said, ‘King’ really IS a good name for this one, don’t you think?  And artists out there? How DO you name your work?  This piece is for sale on my website which you can click on below.  Will somebody please buy King so I can paint another painting?  Thank you! In the meantime, I’m going to go paint flowers.  I think I’m going to be really original and name that painting ‘Flowers.’

colorcatstudios101.etsy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment