Friday, August 21, 2015

Wolf Painting in Process - Part 2 (5th in Animal Painting Series)

Here we have the process showing how I arrived at my fine furry friend.  My first step was to paint the background.  Only two paints were used, a nice, thick gold, and black.  This is the most limited palette I've had in a very long time.  I wanted a very serious wolf, with the concentration of focus on his eyes.  That will do it.
 This first photo shows the entire canvas.  This may look like child's play, but you have no idea how many times I had to take it back down to the canvas or wash off portions to get it just right.

At this point, even before,  I knew exactly where the facial features would be and wanted a particular underlying of textures in designated places.  That's not exactly easy when you paint in this manner.



Here is a close-up of one spot in the painting.  Hopefully you can see from this how reflective that wonderful gold paint is!

I like it already!

No comments:

Post a Comment