Saturday, March 28, 2015

Just a little Graffiti

No, I'm not going into the graffiti business. I just want everyone to know my name is Cindy.

Honestly, though, graffiti has exploded into the art world in a big way, just look at the work of Banksey or Shepard Fairey.

Below is one of Shepard Fairey's images, known all over the world.  Not only is he a graffiti artist, but has broken into all levels of the art world, creating a brisk business venture, and
even a line of clothing!

Basically, as an art teacher, I wanted my older students to at least know the origins of graffiti, whilst at the same time striking a balance of encouraging them to NOT produce it.  My kids and I actually do COLLECT it, however!  We consider it a pretty fun cleanup job.  :)

The art began on the humble 'Hello My Name Is' sticker, as you see on my desk.  I passed these out to my students while I talked so they could make a couple of their own for NOTEBOOK use!

After a short period, street artists found that these stickers needed improvement, and found their answer - at the Post Office!  Those stickers were weatherproof - you know, through wind and sun and hail....  Well, as it happened, used as graffiti stickers they proved their worth.  Long lasting and difficult to peel off.
During this period, artists were already graduating from words and their own names to pictures and more complex ideas, and quickly moved into private in-house sticker manufacturers. We've come a long way, baby.

As for me, I'll stay on the legal side and just continue COLLECTING them.  If you scroll down all the way to the bottom of my blog, you will find pictures of us traveling around Europe collecting stickers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment