Sunday, August 5, 2012

Pipes

The other day I was riding my bike and happened upon a bunch of... well the technical term is... pipes.  No, I don't know exactly what they are for, but I liked the looks of them, so I hopped off my bike and snapped a few pics.  I had already been thinking that I wanted to do some kind of simple line drawing with overlap for my students, and it seemed the perfect thing.  For some weird reason, I've been kind of attracted to pipes and mechanical things lately, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Drawing the pipes themselves probably took me a couple hours.  I knew I didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount of time painting it, so I laid in a hot magenta and an orange on wet paper in about ten seconds and covered the puppy with plastic wrap to give it texture.  At that point, I taped the entire thing down to hold the wrinkles in place and walked away.

The next day it was good and dry so I went in and painted the shadows and darks with blue.  That probably took me an hour as well as I did it slowly and enjoyed the process.  So... here are my pipes!

Oh, boy, they're turned.  Let me try that again...

Okay, I tried several times and when I download the photo, it's horizontal, the way it should be.  Then when it moves over to my blog, it's vertical and I can't change it!  Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment