Thursday, October 31, 2013

Les Miserables

It's been some time since I've posted because I'm involved in two very big things right now:
1.  I'm illustrating a book 
2.  I'm in the orchestra of Les Miserables, our upcoming theatre show playing this weekend and the next

This is how I explain my feelings about the show to others, because people have pretty strong feelings about the storyline, both good and bad.  I'm spending an exorbitant amount of time on this collaborative project because its themes hit to the core of my belief system.


There are many people that do not like this production, and many that wouldn't read the book or see the movie.  The reasons are various, but generally fall into the category of the fact that there are subjects addressed that they don't want to think about, i.e., prostitution, revolution and neglect, among other things.

What people don't think about when considering this story is the fact that these elements are balanced out by hope, love, redemption and forgiveness.  In the same way as I'm teaching you the elements of art (space, form, value, proportions, etc.,) there are many balancing elements in this story that together teach us some really serious lessons.

It is my personal belief that as an artist, I find that it's important to show the bad as well as the good.  To admit that there is sin in this world as well as the Hope (Jesus) that we have to overcome it.  If we present only happy la-la land, people are going to look at our art and reject it because they won't be able to relate.  They'll tell themselves, 'Oh, that's not MY life... my life is a mess!'  And then they'll go on their own way without being affected or challenged.  If we paint pictures of ideal cottages with light glowing from each window, positioned by babbling brooks and surrounded by flowers - everything in perfection - they're not able to relate. Personally, I don't know about that life, because my fence is about ready to fall down.

Great stories touch us because they teach us about our lives.  Come and see Les Miserables.  It will challenge you to be a better person. It will also give you a great jumping-off spot for some likely needed family conversation.  And when you do see it, come on down to the orchestra pit and say hello to this flute.  I'm spending four to five hours a night down there because I believe in this.

Tickets at www.cythouston.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment