Saturday, November 19, 2016

Geranium Painting, Mixed Media

I just finished a beautiful little geranium piece in mixed media.  I really love the colors in this, and laid them down one on top of each other, to mix on the paper.  This way, you can see how the colors blended to make new colors and enjoy all the nuances in between.

You can see that the first layers contain words - I pulled them out of a Spanish or Latin dictionary. Because I love languages, I alternately pull from them and believe that they add an incredible amount of interest.



After the initial drawing and layers of color, I also added some postage stamps.  I've been a stamp collector for most of my life, and only recently did I realize why I do this - I'm just collecting pictures!  Of course!  What do artists do but look at and collect pictures!


Especially in the petals I love these reds and the layers of color, one on top of the other.  It is here where I think the words peeking out are most seductive.



For the life of me, I can't remember if these are watercolors or acrylics.  I water my acrylics down a lot and use them as watercolors, so it really could be either/or.  Love the colors and drips in this closeup of the head. 



Oh, so pretty the way the colors gradate one into the other.  I like the crazy bird, too, looking, of course, into the painting.

This mixed media piece is available for sale at colorcatstudios101.etsy.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment