Monday, March 17, 2014

George Clooney's Monuments Men Comments

I have long awaited George Clooney's movie, Monuments Men, and we went last night.  It far exceeded my expectations.

It's the story of Hitler's ruthless pursuit of European art during World War II.  I have read extensively on this subject and the movie is very true, in fact, it's been said that if Hitler concentrated on the war effort as much as the deliberate theft of art, the world would be a very different place today.  I agree with that statement.

For you to thoroughly round out both your WWII history and your art history, I ask that you go see this movie.  It stars Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonneville, and Cate Blanchett.  These veteran actors generate a most enjoyable rapport with each other and make this movie poignant, believable and even funny.
 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/The_Monuments_Men_poster.jpg
You will see Hitler bending over a model of a city - this is his hometown, Linz, Austria, that he wanted to completely update in honor of himself with a museum in his name.  He spent an exorbitant amount of time industrializing Linz and making plans for it to be his throne of power.

My dad was in WWII, D-Day plus 15.  He had been in many of the places you will see in the movie, and went down in one of the mines where they found stolen art.  Much of what my dad told me unfolded in this movie.

Seriously consider this movie.  It will be well worth your time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment