Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Lunchtime Sketch at the Guthrie

We had lunch with Grant at the Guthrie Theater in downtown Minneapolis on the banks of the Mississippi River.  This was our view, and my quick sketch whilst waiting for food. (I painted it at home.) Our view was of these condos, which were built out of the old Gold Medal plant.  They were beautiful.  We never saw, but I’m sure the sign on the top of the building, which faces the Mississippi, said Gold Medal all those years.  I’m guessing it still does.  Adjacent to these condos is the Gold Medal Museum, if you feel the need to find out about your history. The big yellow space on the left was actually a huge outdoor pillar outside our building.  Wanting to maintain the vertical feel, I chose to draw it in and fill it with Latin words as we’ve studied a lot of Latin. I chose the words that had a lot to do with family, since we were reunited with Grant.  I never did take a photo, but this little sketch brings back the memories in a much sharper and more memorable way.




No comments:

Post a Comment