Thursday, October 29, 2020

Michelangelo

We’ve been looking at Michelangelo in my art classes.  On the Sistine Chapel ceiling, this is one of the Old Testament prophets that foretold Christ’s coming. Through time we’ve been looking at how symbolism is changing.  Can you look at this picture and guess who the prophet is? 

SPOILER ALERT!  The fish.  Jonah. The interesting thing here is that Michelangelo wasn’t content with just painting a figure.  As in all his work he wanted to create a figure at a particular moment.  An example is his sculpture David - at the very moment he was coiling his muscles and scrutinizing Goliath as he contemplated the kill (vastly different from all sculptures of David that went before.) 

So, Jonah? Can you see here that God’s telling Jonah to go, and Jonah is struggling with ‘No, I don’t want to do that! I... think I’ll run away... I’m going to fight this...’  Every fiber of his being in this painting is struggling with God.  Only got Jonah into, uh, deep trouble, wouldn’t you say?  I guess the moral of the story is - let’s obey God the first time, shall we?

I teach at two locations, The Training Center
And HIS Classes (Homeschool Instructional Support Classes)

These are formal art classes that run through the entire school year for homeschoolers.  Both organizations offer all subjects; I just happen to be the lucky person to teach art.

I also teach super fun, super messy classes in the summertime so let me know if you’re interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment