Friday, February 24, 2012

Northern Pike Painting in Progress, Installment #2

Okay, here I have most of the friskit removed so you can actually see the fish.  I splattered friskit over the water as well so that when I go back in and paint again the fish will be well seated in the water.

You can see the tape around the edges holding this puppy down to my drawing board.  With YUPO, you don't have to worry about the 'paper' buckling at all, but you still need to tape it down just to hold it in place.

You can see some numbers at the bottom - initially I had those out on the drawing board because I wanted to make sure the head was 1/4 of the body.  Decided I liked it and will be painting the numbers in more vividly.

This pic shows a closeup of some of the textures I laid in.  I wanted the blues and greens to show through the fish to give the feel of reflections in the water.  The colors aren't the best because I'm not the best photographer.  I'm not making excuses - can't be good at everything!

I'm planning on painting the fish complimentaries of blues and greens - what is that, students?  Oranges and reds, in a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio as I've shown you kids.  I'll also lay down some more iridescents to give the sense of shiny scales.

Oh, how I love to fish!  One of these days I'll tell you the story of how I caught the one that got away.  But I'd have to paint a big bass to tell that story...

No comments:

Post a Comment