Saturday, January 10, 2015

Beginnings and Middlings of a Painting, Part Seven

All right.  Now I'm layering the blacks over the lower portion of the painting.  I'm laying it on fairly thinly so that in places you can see the texture of the shoe prints through the paint.  Some places I made thicker and darker, giving it a texture on its own.  The contrasts of the gold and black make the whole thing dynamic.  I wanted it dark and dirty down at the bottom as a symbol of sin, which Christ is pulling him from.  We do get ourselves into messes, don't we?
I put a portion of a verse at the bottom:
"He heals the broken hearted
and binds up their wounds."
Psalm 147:3

Many times there is only one way out, and that is with Christ's help.  We spend a lot of time in our lives trying to do it on our own.

When the black paint was wet, I scrawled that into the paint, so that the background colors, deep, dirty colors, would show through as the words.

Now we're getting somewhere!  Next up I'll be working on the golds.  The base layer of gold is ready for some additional work.

No comments:

Post a Comment