Saturday, July 14, 2018

Self Portrait, Part the Third

All right, this is the third post in my self-portrait reveal.  Last time I ended with James Herriot, so we begin with the next book:

Latin Roots you say? Stupor Mundi! Yes! I have long been fascinated with languages and done serious study before each of our European travels. Wherever we went, I always had learned enough to get directions, exchange money, read signs, get to the right airport gate and essentially live and thrive.  But Latin, oh how I love thee! For years I studied and taught our three oldest kids (those weird homeschoolers, you know) Latin. Our oldest says it was the best thing he learned in high school and it has ever so greatly enriched our lives.  As the base of our language it will never be dead - but even so, its boundaries are far beyond that.  Not to mention the fact that it made learning any other language easy! I also chose this book because it’s representative of our 26 years of homeschooling our four kids.

The next, William Morris. This book is full of his designs.  Pattern, color and texture.  He was a master. And color, pattern and texture are a never ending source of interest to me.

The Musee d-Orsay.  This great, peerless museum lies in the heart of Paris, across from le Louvre.  These two museums nod and smile at each other across the river in understanding, and I adore them both. This book also represents our travels and unquenchable curiousity.

Pucci begins where William Morris left off.  More color, texture and pattern.  Why two books that represent the same idea? I have no idea, but really to me it represents a continuation of the work as time passes into the modern age.

Enough! That’s all we can take for one post!  I’ll be back soon with .... Self Portrait, Part the Fourth.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment